January 25, 2011

The Academy Award nominations: "The King's Speech" leads with 12 noms, "True Grit" with 10 noms, both "Inception" and "The Social Network" for 8 noms!


Finally! The Oscar aka Academy Awards nominations have been announced! The British masterpiece "The King's Speech" leads the Oscar with 12 nominations, followed by "True Grit" with 10 nominations, and then "Inception" and "The Social Network" with 8 nominations each. Other favorites like "Black Swan", "The Fighter", and "Toy Story 3" are also included. Here are the complete nomination list, plus my favorites to win!


Best motion picture of the year
"Black Swan"
"The Fighter"
"Inception"
"The Kids Are Alright"
"The King's Speech"
"127 Hours"
"The Social Network"
"Toy Story 3"
"True Grit"
"Winter's Bone"

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Javier Bardem in "Biutiful"
Jeff Bridges in "True Grit"
Jesse Eisenberg in "The Social Network"
Colin Firth in "The King's Speech"
James Franco in "127 Hours"

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Christian Bale in "The Fighter"
John Hawkes in "Winter's Bone"
Jeremy Renner in "The Town"
Mark Ruffalo in "The Kids Are Alright"
Geoffrey Rush  in "The King's Speech"

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Annette Bening in "The Kids Are Alright"
Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"
Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone"
Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"
Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine"

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Amy Adams in "The Fighter"
Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech"
Melissa Leo in "The Fighter"
Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit"
Jacki Weaver in "Animal Kingdom"

Best animated feature of the year
"Toy Story 3"
"How To Train Your Dragon"
"The Illusionist"

Art Direction
"Alice In Wonderland"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I"
"Inception"
"The King's Speech"
"True Grit"

Achievement in cinematography
"Black Swan"
"Inception"
"The King's Speech"
"The Social Network"
"True Grit"

Achievement in costume design
"Alice In Wonderland"
"I Am Love"
"The King's Speech"
"The Tempest"
"True Grit"

Achievement in directing
Darren Aronofsky for "Black Swan"
David O. Russell for "The Fighter"
Tom Hooper for "The King's Speech"
David Fincher for "The Social Network"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen for "True Grit"

Best documentary feature
"Exit through the Gift Shop"
"Gasland"
"Inside Job"
"Restrepo"
"Waste Land"

Best documentary short project
"Killing in the Name"
"Poster Girl"
"Strangers No More"
"Sun Come Up"
"The Warriors of Qiugang"

Achievement in film editing
"Black Swan"
"The Fighter"
"The King's Speech"
"127 Hours"
"The Social Network"

Best foreign language film of the year
"Biutiful" from Mexico
"Dogtooth" from Greece
"In a Better World" from Denmark
"Incendies" from Canada
"Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)" from Algeria

Achievement in music written for motion picture (original score)
John Powell for "How To Train Your Dragon"
Hanz Zimmer for "Inception"
Alexandre Desplat for "The King's Speech"
A.R. Rahman for "127 Hours"
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for "The Social Network"

Achievement in music written for motion picture (original song)
"Coming Home" from "Country Strong"
"I See The Light" from "Tangled"
"If I Rise" from "127 Hours"
"We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3"

Achievement in sound editing
"Inception"
"Toy Story 3"
"Tron: Legacy"
"True Grit"
"Unstoppable"

Achievement in sound mixing
"Inception"
"The King's Speech"
"Salt"
"The Social Network"
"True Grit"

Achievement in visual effects
"Alice In Wonderland"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I"
"Hereafter"
"Inception"
"Iron Man 2"

Adapted screenplay
Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy for "127 Hours"
Aaron Sorkin for "The Social Network"
Michael Arndt for "Toy Story 3"
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen for "True Grit"
Debra Granik & Anne Rossellini for "Winter's Bone"

Original screenplay
Mike Leigh for "Another Year"
Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, & Eric Johnson for "The Fighter"
Christopher Nolan for "Inception"
Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg for "The Kids Are Alright"
David Seidler for "The King's Speech"
I wasn't surprised at this nominations, because most people have predicted it and is proven to be true. Ten nominees for Best Picture are adequate, even though I've only watched four of them (duh!). "The King's Speech" will likely win Best Picture, it is simply the 'higher power's favorite movies. By the 'higher power' I mean the critics, directors, and producers. "The Social Network" might be also favorited but I don't think it's as epic as "The King's Speech" (according to the reviews, because I haven't seen "The King's Speech" either).

I can't believe they snubbed Ryan Gosling as Best Actor. Everyone acclaimed his performance in "Blue Valentine". My favorite man Andrew Garfield isn't included as well, but I'm OK with it.  And then Christopher Nolan isn't nominated in Best Director. This one is truly shocking—only a fantastic director could direct an originally groundbreaking movie like "Inception"! But thankfully he's still nominated for Best Original Screenplay.

Jesse Eisenberg, congratulations for the Best Actor nominee! I know he might not win this, but I love to hear that he received so many appreciation to his incredible work in "The Social Network". He nailed it, people believed that he's Mark Zuckerberg! I'm also really happy for Jennifer Lawrence, whom I think just broke Keira Knightley's record as the third youngest Best Actress nominee in history. I saw "Winter's Bone" and she did fantastic, she could bring a genuine expression throughout the movie. Even though Natalie Portman is likely to win it, I think it's a great achievement for Jennifer.

"Inception" and "Toy Story 3", my most favorite ones, will win more than two awards, I'm sure of it. Let's say, if "Inception" wouldn't win Best Picture, hopefully it will snatch Best Visual Effects, Best Original Screenplay, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Art Direction, and maybe Best Original Score. In the last category, it's basically my personal favorite. Hanz Zimmer was awesome in scoring "Inception", but people have favorited Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for "The Social Network". While "Toy Story 3" will surely win Best Animated Feature and hopefully Best Original Song.

0 Comments: